Music: A Reflection On The Past


I think that one of the most exciting parts of going to college was coming home with so many new mix tapes to show off to my siblings and friends. I came home with a love and appreciation for music and artists that I had never even heard of before arriving at college.

Living in an apartment with five other girls, each with her own CD collection, seemed like the gateway to limitless amounts of free music and cool mixes. I know that the fact that we all had cases full of CDs ages me, but back then I'd never heard of an iPod.



I've since changed my ways and have realized that it's more honest to pay for my music, but at the time everybody was doing it, and it seemed like the possibilities for cool mixes were endless.

What a perfect demonstration of peer pressure in the works. I can't begin to count how many times I had people beg me to let them burn a copy of a CD. I'd usually hold out for a while and when they finally agreed to the right trade, I just couldn't resist. Good times and good music were had by all.

At the very end of my first year of college my roommates and I came up with a plan to create the ultimate mix. We had a white glove inspection before we could check out of our apartment and we had to pass or else we couldn't get our deposits back.

We knew that we had a full day of cleaning in store for us, and this would require hours of musical entertainment. Our goal was to create the perfect mix that would last for our whole day of cleaning without repeating any songs. After a lot of compiling we finally had the perfect play list. We called it "The White Glove Soundtrack."

Obviously with that many hours of music we couldn't fit the whole thing onto one CD, but we each left college that year with a CD of what we considered the highlights. It started with Low Rider, and covered just about every genre. It even had the Trogdor song sung by Stong Bad. His cartoons had become a house favorite throughout that year.

It's amazing how just hearing one song can take you back to years gone by. I still treasure that CD and the memories of my first year of college that it holds. No matter how many new mix tapes come along, that particular mix will always have a dear place in my heart.


Author Resource:- Indie Record Exec is a new mix tapes helps hip hop embrace Web 2.0 with full-featured networking, entertainment and information.

0 comments to “Music: A Reflection On The Past”

Post a Comment

 

Free Trends and Tips Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger